Today’s inktober is about Logan Square/Logan Circle: a large traffic circle, open space park and one of the five original planned public squares on the city grid.
In William Penn’s 1684 plan for the city, it was called Northwest Square. However, in 1825, it was renamed Logan Square after Philadelphia statesman James Logan.
In 1917, a French landscape architect named Jacques Gréber converted Logan Square into a circle similar to the Place de la Concorde in Paris.
The Swann Memorial Fountain is in the middle of the circle, and the circle is bordered by the Free Library of Philadelphia, the Academy of Natural Sciences, the Franklin Institute, Moore College of Art and Design, and the Cathedral Basilica.
Original drawing available for purchase here.